Essex Town Hall
30 Martin Street
Essex, MA 01929
Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Additional Hours by Appointment. Please contact the Clerk in advance to discuss.
RESIDENTS ARE REMINDED OF THE WINTER PARKING BAN
THAT WILL BE IN EFFECT IN THE TOWN OF ESSEX
FROM DECEMBER 1, 2013 UNTIL APRIL 1, 2014.
DURING THE BAN NO PARKING IS ALLOWED FROM MIDNIGHT UNTIL DAWN ON ANY STREET IN TOWN WITH THE EXCEPTION OF PICKERING STREET. ON PICKERING STREET, ALL NIGHT PARKING IS ALLOWED ONLY ON THE ODD NUMBERED SIDE OF THE STREET. VIOLATORS MAY RECEIVE A $25.00 PARKING TICKET. VEHICLES WILL BE SUBJECT TO TOWING DURING A STORM.
The Town of Essex Clerk’s office, being a gateway into the community, has a goal to provide exceptional service to the public. The Town Clerk serves as guardian to vital records (births, marriages and deaths) occurring in the Town as well as valuable municipal records.
The Town Clerk is responsible for overseeing and maintaining accurate systems for the duties set forth in the Town Bylaws, Massachusetts General Laws and any other tasks assigned to this office that assist in continuing the smooth operation and furthering the beautification, safety and vitality of this community.
Other duties of this office include:
- Planning and posting Town Meetings, management, recording minutes and sending Bylaw changes to the Attorney Generals office for review and approval.
- All public meeting notices, postings and agendas of local boards and committees.
- Essex Shellfish Licenses (Clams, Sea Worms and Eels).
-Issuance and maintenance of records for Business Certificates (necessary for businesses operating in town under a d/b/a).
- Dog license registration.
-Maintenance of Voter Lists and Registrations.
-Planning and managing elections and certifying poll results.
-Maintenance of Census files.
-Administration and records of oaths of office to town officials.
- The Town Clerk also serves as that Parking Clerk and handles the processing and appeals of all violations.
- Processing and appeal of non-criminal dispositions (bylaw and other civil violations).
We welcome you to contact our office or stop in for further information.