Skip Navigation Welcome to Essex, Massachusetts
This table is used for column layout.

Advanced Search
Essex, Massachusetts Town Seal
ECRECC REgional 911 Alerts
  Cape Ann License Plate

Accident Reporting Requirements

Q.      I was involved in an accident. Do I have to report it?

A.      Any accident where damage to property is over $1000, where there were injuries sustained or the driver of one of the vehicles left the scene MUST be reported to the police. Even if you were involved in a minor motor vehicle accident, you are required to stop and exchange information with the other driver; name, address and license/registration information.

Q.      If I have been involved in an accident as described above, what should I do now?

A.      Police should be called to the scene. Notify police as to where the accident took place, if     anyone is injured and how many cars are involved. If it is safe to do so, move the vehicles out of the roadway. Provide your driver's license and vehicle registration to the responding officers. Avoid arguments with the other driver about who caused the collision. The responding officers will ask you questions about the accident and the possible causes.

Q.      Do I have to complete an accident report?

A.      If your accident is as described above, YES you must complete an accident report. You may pick up a copy of an accident report from any police station, or download the form from this website. Three copies of the report must be completed. One copy will be returned to the police station, one

Image of Essex, Massachusetts
 Essex, Massachusetts Town Seal
Town of Essex, Massachusetts
Website Disclaimer
Virtual Towns & Schools Website