RULES & REGULATIONS FOR THE USE OF
THE TOWN OF ESSEX MUNICIPAL PARKING LOT
Section I. Parking
- Vehicles, trailers, and equipment owned by the Town of Essex are exempt from the following rules and regulations.
- All parked vehicles must fit within the width and length of one standard space with normal door-opening clearance for single vehicles or of two standard spaces running end to end – these special spaces are only found in the center of the lot – for vehicles with boat trailers in tow. Single vehicles may NOT park in the center spaces on weekends and holidays between May 1 and October 31 and doing so may result in towing at the owner’s expense and/or a $25 fine.
- Vehicles with trailers other than boat trailers in tow shall not be allowed to park in the lot.
- Vehicles with boat trailers in tow MUST display a valid Essex resident or transfer station sticker to park in the municipal lot and may park only in the center spaces. Violators of this subsection are subject to towing at the owner’s expense and/or a $100 fine.
- Boat trailers shall not be parked in the lot without being in tow at any time and no other types of trailers or equipment shall be parked in the lot (whether in tow or detached) at any time.
- Vehicles and vehicles with boat trailers in tow shall not be parked in the lot for a time period that exceeds 24 hours. This rule shall be suspended in the case of a snow emergency provided that the Department of Public Works has first cleared the lot of snow. This rule may also be suspended by the Essex Fire Chief or the Essex Police Chief as necessary for public safety purposes, including snow emergencies, on a case-by-case basis.
- Parking is prohibited in any area designated by the Board of Public Works as needed to manage snow and ice removal operations.
- Failure to observe the above rules & regulations shall be grounds for the issuance of a parking violation or towing at the owner’s expense by the Essex Police Department.
ESSEX BOARD OF SELECTMEN
Promulgated pursuant to M.G.L. Ch. 40 §22: 12/6/04
Revised 8/21/06 – subsection 4
Revised 4/14/14 – added new subsection 4 – resident boat trailers only
Revised 12/7/15 – clarified rules for center spaces – reduced fine