- Vitals and other Historic Essex Info (See Essex Hist. Society for more updated information on the Ancient Cemetery)
- Essex Historical Society and Shipbuilding Museum
- State of MA Archives (Searchable databases for Vitals Records, Historic Events, etc.)
- Civil War Memorial Unveiling
- Civil War Online Memorial
Please note that in Massachusetts vital records are housed by individual municipality, not county government. The Town of Essex is a Town located within Essex County. Please ensure you are contacting the proper municipality for your request.
Before the Town of Essex was incorporated in 1819 it was a part of Ipswich, MA known as Chebacco Parish. All vital records prior to 1819 concerning Chebacco Parish are held by the Town of Ipswich.
Please submit any requests in writing to the Town Clerk. Please allow at least 10 days for processing. According to the Massachusetts Public Records Law, if extensive research or amendments are involved you may receive a written estimate prior to beginning the research.
In Essex, certified copies of vital records are $10 and may be obtained in person, by mail or online. Checks should be made payable to the Town of Essex.
We suggest calling the Office of the Town Clerk at (978) 768-7111 to verify that the record is available in Essex.