Nomination papers for 2022 local elected municipal offices will be available January 10, 2022
Make a difference in your community and consider running for office! The 2022 annual local election is May 9, 2022. The following offices will be on the ballot:
- One Assessor for three years
- One Moderator for one year
- One Board of Selectman member for three years
- One Board of Health member for three years
- Two Constables for one year
- One Regional School Committee member for three years
- One Board of Library Trustees member for three years
- One Housing Authority member for five years
- One Planning Board member for five years
The deadline to takeout/obtain nomination papers is Thursday, March 17 at 5:00 pm. Interested parties, please refer to the Candidate Packet for more information and contact the Town Clerk with any questions.
The Town of Essex Clerk’s office, being a gateway into the community, has a goal to provide exceptional service to the public. The Town Clerk serves as guardian to vital records (births, marriages and deaths) occurring in the Town as well as valuable municipal records.
The Town Clerk is responsible for overseeing and maintaining accurate systems for the duties set forth in the Town Bylaws, Massachusetts General Laws and any other tasks assigned to this office that assist in continuing the smooth operation and furthering the beautification, safety and vitality of this community.
Other duties of this Office include:
- Planning and posting Town Meetings, management, recording minutes and sending Bylaw changes to the Attorney Generals office for review and approval.
- All public meeting notices, postings and agendas of local boards and committees.
- Essex Shellfish Licenses (Clams, Sea Worms and Eels).
- Issuance and maintenance of records for Business Certificates (necessary for businesses operating in town under a d/b/a).
- Dog license registration.
- Maintenance of Voter Lists and Registrations.
- Planning and managing elections and certifying poll results.
- Maintenance of Census files.
- Administration and records of oaths of office to town officials.
- The Town Clerk also serves as that Parking Clerk and handles the processing and appeals of all violations.
- Processing and appeal of non-criminal dispositions (bylaw and other civil violations).