|March 3, 2020 - Presidential Primary Election (Early Voting Period at Town Hall is February 24-28)|
|June 13, 2020 (Rescheduled from May 4 and June 15, 2020) - Annual Town Meeting: 10:00 am at Essex Elementary School Grounds, 12 Story Street|
|June 22, 2020 (Postponed from May 11, 2020) - Annual Town Election (Absentee and Early Voting by Mail is allowed - ballots are now available) Polls open: 12 Noon-6:00 pm|
|September 1, 2020 - State Primary Election (No Early Voting Period)|
|November 3, 2020 - State Election (Early Voting Period at Town Hall is October 19-30)|
|November 16, 2020 - Fall Town Meeting: 7:30 pm at Essex Elementary School, 12 Story Street|
** 2020 Annual Town Election - Further Information
Click to view:
All Elections take place at the Essex Memorial Fire Station, 24 Martin Street, Essex.
The Town of Essex Clerk’s office, being a gateway into the community, has a goal to provide exceptional service to the public. The Town Clerk serves as guardian to vital records (births, marriages and deaths) occurring in the Town as well as valuable municipal records.
The Town Clerk is responsible for overseeing and maintaining accurate systems for the duties set forth in the Town Bylaws, Massachusetts General Laws and any other tasks assigned to this office that assist in continuing the smooth operation and furthering the beautification, safety and vitality of this community.
Other duties of this Office include:
- Planning and posting Town Meetings, management, recording minutes and sending Bylaw changes to the Attorney Generals office for review and approval.
- All public meeting notices, postings and agendas of local boards and committees.
- Essex Shellfish Licenses (Clams, Sea Worms and Eels).
- Issuance and maintenance of records for Business Certificates (necessary for businesses operating in town under a d/b/a).
- Dog license registration.
- Maintenance of Voter Lists and Registrations.
- Planning and managing elections and certifying poll results.
- Maintenance of Census files.
- Administration and records of oaths of office to town officials.
- The Town Clerk also serves as that Parking Clerk and handles the processing and appeals of all violations.
- Processing and appeal of non-criminal dispositions (bylaw and other civil violations).