2021 Town Meeting and Election Schedule
|Annual Town Election|
24 Martin St.
|Annual Town Meeting|
Essex Elem. School
|Fall Town Meeting||November 15||TBD||TBD|
Voter registration deadlines: April 20 for May 10, 2021 Election and April 23 for May 15, 2021 Town Meeting. The Town Clerk's office will be open 7:30-3:30 pm on April 20, 2-4pm on April 23 and 7:00-8:00pm both days for voter registration. You can also register to vote, update your information or check your status all online at: www.registertovoteMA.com.
May 10, 2021 Local Election Information
Vote by Mail
The state legislature has approved no excuse Vote by Mail for all elections held through June 30, 2021. If you wish to vote by mail for the May 10th election, download the 2021 Vote by Mail Application or submit a request with your signature to the Town Clerk's office. The deadline to submit your Vote by Mail application is 5:00pm on May 4, 2021 and the deadline to return your completed ballot by mail or to the Election Drop Box located outside the front door of Town Hall (30 Martin St) is 8:00pm on May 10, 2021. Ballots received after this deadline must be rejected.
You may also vote in person at Town Hall if you will be away from Essex on May 10th or you are taking precautions from COVID by completing an absentee ballot application and voting over the counter. Absentee voting begins as soon as ballots are available and runs through 12 Noon on Friday, May 7th. Please contact the Town Clerk to make an appointment to vote at Town Hall.
In-Person Early Voting Period
There will be no in-person early voting period for the May 10, 2021 election.
Ballot Testing for this election will be held on Tuesday, April 20 at 2:00pm on the 3rd floor of Town Hall and is open to the public. If you are curious how our new voting tabulator counts votes, this is a great opportunity to learn more about it! You can also contact the Town Clerk if you have questions.
The Town of Essex Clerk’s office, being a gateway into the community, has a goal to provide exceptional service to the public. The Town Clerk serves as guardian to vital records (births, marriages and deaths) occurring in the Town as well as valuable municipal records.
The Town Clerk is responsible for overseeing and maintaining accurate systems for the duties set forth in the Town Bylaws, Massachusetts General Laws and any other tasks assigned to this office that assist in continuing the smooth operation and furthering the beautification, safety and vitality of this community.
Other duties of this Office include:
- Planning and posting Town Meetings, management, recording minutes and sending Bylaw changes to the Attorney Generals office for review and approval.
- All public meeting notices, postings and agendas of local boards and committees.
- Essex Shellfish Licenses (Clams, Sea Worms and Eels).
- Issuance and maintenance of records for Business Certificates (necessary for businesses operating in town under a d/b/a).
- Dog license registration.
- Maintenance of Voter Lists and Registrations.
- Planning and managing elections and certifying poll results.
- Maintenance of Census files.
- Administration and records of oaths of office to town officials.
- The Town Clerk also serves as that Parking Clerk and handles the processing and appeals of all violations.
- Processing and appeal of non-criminal dispositions (bylaw and other civil violations).
We welcome you to contact our office or stop in for further information. Click here to email us!
|Pamela B. Thorne||Town Clerk, Notary Public|