Annual Street List/Census
The MA General Laws mandate an annual street listing of residents be conducted as of January 1st each year. Annual census forms are mailed to every household in January. Failure to respond to the mailing shall result in removal from the active voting list and may result in removal from the voter registration rolls (MGL Chapter 51 Section 4c). Please keep your voter registration current by responding to this important document!
The Town of Essex Clerk’s office, being a gateway into the community, has a goal to provide exceptional service to the public. The Town Clerk serves as guardian to vital records (births, marriages and deaths) occurring in the Town as well as valuable municipal records.
The Town Clerk is responsible for overseeing and maintaining accurate systems for the duties set forth in the Town Bylaws, Massachusetts General Laws and any other tasks assigned to this office that assist in continuing the smooth operation and furthering the beautification, safety and vitality of this community.
Other duties of this Office include:
- Planning and posting Town Meetings, management, recording minutes and sending Bylaw changes to the Attorney Generals office for review and approval.
- All public meeting notices, postings and agendas of local boards and committees.
- Essex Shellfish Licenses (Clams, Sea Worms and Eels).
- Issuance and maintenance of records for Business Certificates (necessary for businesses operating in town under a d/b/a).
- Dog license registration.
- Maintenance of Voter Lists and Registrations.
- Planning and managing elections and certifying poll results.
- Maintenance of Census files.
- Administration and records of oaths of office to town officials.
- The Town Clerk also serves as that Parking Clerk and handles the processing and appeals of all violations.
- Processing and appeal of non-criminal dispositions (bylaw and other civil violations).